Sunday, September 3, 2017

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, August 2017

Shroud of Turin News - August 2017
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: July 2017, part #1] [Next: September 2017, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the August 2017 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. Following this editorial, I may comment on Shroud-related August 2017 news articles in separate posts, linked back to this post, with the articles' words in bold to distinguish them from mine. I have listed some linked articles about the Shroud in August as a service to readers, without necessarily commenting on them. If I do comment on an article in a separate Shroud of Turin News post, I will add after it "- see "dd mmm yy, part #n".

Contents:
Editorial
"Turin Shroud: the latest evidence will challenge the sceptics," Catholic Herald, Fr Dwight Longnecker, August 4, 2017.
"What Should Evangelicals Think About the Shroud of Turin?," The Gospel Coalition, Joe Carter, August 5, 2017.


Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in August up to issue #83, June 1994 [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~70% completed. Issues in that archive are still up to #76, April 1993.

Posts: In August I blogged only 2 new posts (latest uppermost): "Obituary: Rev. H. David Sox (24 April 1936 - 28 August 2016) - 15th; and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, July 2017 - 13th. I was still working on a July post, "`Atomic resolution studies detect new biologic evidences on the Turin Shroud,' Shroud of Turin News, June 2017," up to 12 August and so I only started my first August post on the 13th. And then the Obituary of David Sox which I started on the 15th, was longer than I expected, but I felt it was important to cover him fully in respect of the Shroud. And as can be seen in that post, Sox was an important figure in my radiocarbon dating of the Shroud hacker theory.

Updates in the background. In August there were no significant updates in the background of past posts. Except that for some months now I have been going through my posts from 2015 backwards, saving linked photos in case they become no longer online and replacing those which had disappeared. When I get to 2007 when this blog started, will then start saving photos in my posts from 2016 forward.

Comments: In August I deleted as substandard a long comment that was essentially an opinion-piece, with no links or references to support the mere opinions of the commenter. I simply don't have the time (see my 04 Feb17 why) to respond to long-winded, unsubstantiated, comments which are attempts by individuals to use my blog to make their statements. Comments in this my blog are intended primarily to be about my posts they are under.

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: While I blogged no posts specifically about my hacker theory in August, as mentioned above, there was a section about it in my obituary of David Sox.

My book: In August I continued to make progress in writing a dot-point outline of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" on my smartphone (see 06Jul17). Chapters in dot-point outline worked on in August were: "6. History and the Shroud: Before 1355 to Present." But I realised that would be too long, so I split it into "1355 to 1898" and "1899 to the Present." But I later realised that there would be no continuity between the events before 1355 and 1355 itself. So I started on "6. History and the Shroud: AD 30 to 1355" but that will probably have to be split at 1204.

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 August 2017, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 788,859. This compares with 584,212 (up 204,647 or 35%) from the same time in August 2016. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Obituary: Rev. H. David Sox (24 April 1936 - 28 August 2016)," - Aug 15, 2017 - 129; "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Eleventh century," Jul 27, 2017 - 117; "`Atomic resolution studies detect new biologic evidences on the Turin Shroud,' Shroud of Turin News, June 2017," Jul 19, 2017 - 106; "John P. Jackson, `An Unconventional Hypothesis to Explain all Image Characteristics Found on the Shroud Image' (1991)," Aug 13, 2017 - 87 and "Editorial and Contents, Shroud of Turin News, July 2017," Aug 13, 2017 - 85. It is pleasing to see my 2012 post of Jackson's `cloth collapse theory' still being read widely.


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]

Posted 3 September 2017. Updated 20 June 2023.

No comments: